Thursday, April 18, 2019

Silver Spoon Assesment


1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?
- I found it to be a unique setting for a manga. I don't think I've ever read a manga that had to do with any sort of farming. And it was just that- farming and going to agricultural school. It had no supernatural or fantasy elements; and I kind of like it. It seems like a refreshing read. I managed to get up to chapter 6 and I am interested to know more about the main character and see how him being there and interacting with people who have lived a completely different lifestyle to him can help him develop as a person and find his own aspirations in life.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to connect.
- Personally, I connected to the feeling of wanting to find your dreams and who you are as a person. I remember that was a big deal to me around the time that I first got into high school. I feel like in this story that feeling is heightened for the main character because he is in an environment where, being a specialized school, everyone there already knows exactly what they want to do. I also like that its a "fish out of water" kind of story set in a different location. It deals with people coming from massively different backgrounds than that of the main character. These backgrounds are more grounded and humble for the most part. Although we still don't know a lot about the protagonist yet, I feel like this is where the title "Silver Spoon" comes into play.

3. What changes would you make to adopt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
- I did a quick google search and it seems like there is already an anime made for this series. I haven't watched it, so I'm not familiar with how they chose to adapt it. From what I've read so far, the manga gives me a vibe that it would maybe be better suited for a feature-length film rather than an episodic show. Everything about the chapters so far are building up plot points in a way that is similar to film. The chapters feel more like scenes rather than standalone episodes. The thing that I would change or just make a little more dramatic is showing the protagonist having a harder time adjusting to the farm lifestyle. The manga does show that- but with the comedic relief, and the character going back and forth between wanting to work hard and being pessimistic about having no purpose- the hardship kind of gets played down. Don't get me wrong, I love the comedic elements, but if it were to be adapted into a film a lot of that fat would need to get trimmed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment